Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Pawloski Frightful Week


So Its been a while since I lost got on. I actually forgot my password and had to get it recovered. This past week was a frightful one for us. Last Friday Sophie choked on some corn she was eating. It wasn't a regular choke, she was turning purple. Joe was doing the child's Heimlich maneuver and I scooping her mouth. During that process I called 911 by the time the paramedics came we got her to breath but, no food came out. They said we didn't need to go to the hospital because she appeared to be fine. I called our pediatrician and she said I didn't need to take her to the Hospital but to watch for symptoms such as, Flem, cough, fever, and vomiting in the next 3-5 days. She appeared to be fine the next few days but surly on the 3rd day I found her making a new sound. She would be playing or doing her normal things she does, then suddenly she would take a gasp of air, cough, and then laugh. I couldn't tell if she discovered a new sound she could make or if her body was doing it naturally. I decided not to risk it and called the pediatrician anyways. After seeing the pediatrician they sent us to the hospital. We went the ER and they admitted right away. We were there for a few hours they did like 6 different x-rays taking about 2-3 each time. I finally got upset because she was sleepy and they made her get undressed for each one. I asked the tech, why they needed another one, she said they found a shadow in her right lung and that they didn't know what it was. The Dr. came back in and told us that an ambulance was on its was to transport Sophie and I to El Paso for emergency surgery. She said she aspirated on the food she ate 3 days ago. They needed to get it out otherwise she could get pulmonary pneumonia and die. Joe and our neighbor Austin gave Sophie a priesthood blessing before we left. In the blessing it said that she would be okay and that she would live a long and healthy life. It also said that there would be nothing in her lungs. The ambulance came and took us to El Paso.When we got there Joe, the anesthesiologist and the surgeon were waiting for us. The Dr. took Sophie out of my arms and started examining her. I signed some paper while Joe spoke with the Drs. They said they would put a wire with a microscope down her esophagus and down into her lungs. At the end of the wire there was going to be tweezers to pluck it out. They then took us to a waiting room and took Sophie to an operating room. While Sophie was in surgery Joe and I just held each other and prayed that she would be okay. I feared something bad would happen. They told us of the possible side effects of the surgery which even included death. I held Joe tight and prayed for the faith to be believing the in blessing he gave her. But it was hard to because in the blessing they said nothing would be found in her lungs, but something was found in her lungs. How could this be? I shook the thought and kept praying for faith to believe. That night felt so unreal. I couldn't believe this was happening. 16 minutes later, the Dr. came in. My heart started racing. He wasn't holding Sophie and I was expecting him to have her in his arms. He told us "She is fine. There was nothing in there. I know something was in there because I listened to her lungs and her right lung wasn't receiving any oxygen. I don't know what happened to it but it is amazing." I quickly asked him if there was anyway they could have missed it. He said he checked and double checked. He went as far as he could with the microscope. We returned back to her room in the ICU and they soon brought her back to us. She was still asleep but soon woke up. The Dr. later said that Sophie had a nice little cough right before the surgery. He said she probably just coughed it up and re-ate it. That maybe true, but I know Heavenly Father watched out for her that night. I know he kept her safe. I am so grateful for the priesthood and the amazing miracles that come to pass when you only believe. I want everyone to know that because of this scary experience, I am in away grateful for it. It helped me put things in perspective. It helped me have a stronger appreciation for the gospel and for the priesthood, and a stronger love for my family. I hope that you can feel the same spirit I felt while reading this that I did that night. The Gospel is real and Heavenly Father loves us all and is there for us if we can only reach out.


3 comments:

Cody said...

Wow Ashley. I'm sorry your family had to go through that. I did enjoy hearing your testimony! Thanks for sharing!

The Jackman Ohana said...

Ashley , Joe and Sophia we miss you guys so much and love you!!!

Amy♥ said...

I'm so thankful she's OK! My mom was telling us about it last week. You guys have such a strong testimony. Best wishes!